Welcome to my Work Smarter Not Harder Podcast, Episode #2. I’m going to talk about Twitter and share with you 6 simple tips to network more effectively. Twitter is one of those important networking sites you should be on. But not everyone gets it or understands why they should spend time on it. I’ll tell you why this tool should dominate your social media arsenal. When mastered, it will enable you to maximize your online reach. You can connect with fans, customers, colleagues, brands of products and services you use, and even CEOs that pique your interest. Did you know there are 500 million Twitter users and that 400 million tweets are sent out each day? I know that’s pretty crazy, right?
There is no quick formula for Twitter success. It takes time, consistency and a plan of action. click to tweet
So let me ask you… how effective are YOU on Twitter? In the last 5 years I have learned valuable strategies that make it work for me. I’m going to share my 6 simple tips that will help you build momentum and followers. There is no magic pill for instant success. But if you follow these strategies, you will improve your results. And remember, it’s about building your Twitter network… one follower at a time.
In this episode I cover the following:
- Have a great, professional profile. By this I mean a nice photo that is up-close so everyone can see who you are, and a really good description with a link to your website.
- Be real. Transparency is very important on any social network, especially Twitter. Be yourself. Talk about what’s important to you. Don’t make every post about buying your new CD, service or product. And above all, be likeable. People love that.
— Jon Ostrow (@jon_ostrow) August 9, 2013
I am getting a hint of what free-falling feels like … it isn’t until you jump that you realize what a great experience it is. #takingrisks
— Deborah Robinson (@redgypsee) August 8, 2013
I think I’m Dean Martin reincarnated. With like, overlap or whatever.
— Kira Small (@kirasmall) August 7, 2013
- Connect with your followers. Interact. Engage. Retweet. You’ll see a spike in activity when you start connecting and engaging your audience. Thank people for following you. Thank those who retweet your posts. Add a commentary in front of a retweet. Do a shout out to your Twitter friends with #MM (Music Monday) and #FF (Follow Friday), which are popular hashtags.
@MadalynSklar haha! Thanks! 🙂
— RealityTC (@RealityTC) August 10, 2013
— Madalyn Sklar (@MadalynSklar) August 8, 2013
— Madalyn Sklar (@MadalynSklar) August 10, 2013
— TittyBingo (@TittyBingo) August 2, 2013
- Get their attention. When done right, you can grab the attention of high profile people by reaching out on Twitter. Retweeting posts can help get you on their radar. It can spark interest and allow you connect to those you seek out.
— Madalyn Sklar (@MadalynSklar) August 10, 2013
— Madalyn Sklar (@MadalynSklar) August 5, 2013
My retweet above sparked a conversation back and forth with a well-known social media industry leader who has over 78,000 Twitter followers.
@lilachbullock Thank you Liliach! Always digging your tweets.
— Madalyn Sklar (@MadalynSklar) August 6, 2013
— Lilach Bullock (@lilachbullock) August 7, 2013
CD Baby retweeted my post which is great exposure for me on their large network.
- Tweet often. By this I mean do more than one or two posts a day but don’t post 20 times an hour. The key is consistency.
- Participate in live Twitter chats. You can easily do this by keeping tabs on various hashtags of topics that interest you. Join in the discussion and you’ll quickly make new friends and business contacts. I co-host the GoGirls Twitter Chat every Thursday at 9pm ET at #ggchat. It’s for musicians and music business professionals.
Let’s re-cap my 6 tips:
1. Have a great, professional profile.
2. Be real. Transparency is very important.
3. Connect with your followers. Interact. Engage. Retweet.
4. Get their attention.
5. Tweet often.
6. Participate in live Twitter chats.
I can’t stress enough that Twitter is an extremely valuable tool, that when mastered, can be tremendous for your networking arsenal. If you use it, please take a moment to comment your Twitter URL below so my readers and I can learn more about you and also follow you. Let me know which tips helped. And please be sure to follow me on Twitter at @madalynsklar.
Help Out the Show!
I would love it if you’d take a moment to rate my podcast and review it on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It will be very helpful to me and my show.
I hope you enjoyed this episode. Please let me know what you think in the comment section below. Rock on!
Like the song you heard in this podcast? Listen to it in full.
Listen to this podcast in Soundcloud