by Nicole Osborne
Over the last ten years, there has been a profound change in the way we do marketing. I burst onto the scene as a marketer before the explosive evolution of the social media marketing world. So you can say that my skills were a little outdated in recent times.
I decided to bridge my skills gap in social media marketing, so I enrolled in the highly innovative Digital Mums: Strategic Social Media Management Programme. This is an accredited programme designed for mums who are looking to find more flexibility in their existing careers by gaining kick-ass social media skills – Digital Mums’ mantra is to propel mums to find #WorkThatWorks. And it was during this course that I nurtured a deep-rooted love of Twitter and its potential for marketing.
My Secret Sauce Cooking Class with Madalyn Sklar
I learnt about the Twitter Secret Sauce during the Christmas break in 2016. Prior to this discovery, I’d been super busy delivering social media campaigns for my clients and could never find time to develop my own voice on Twitter. It was such a positive experience, that I’d like to share my learning and Madalyn Sklar’s tips for Twitter success in this article. Are you ready?
As one of my goals for 2017, I was determined to boost my own social media presence and I came across Twitter guru, Madalyn Sklar, during my influencer research. That was the start of an exciting new journey:
- Hootsuite: is my new best friend – a fabulous social media management tool that helps me organise and schedule my workload. Since using Hootsuite and scheduling my own tweets, I have doubled my monthly impressions to over 45,000.
- Twitter chats: my new favourite thing. I’ve participated in chats, including #TwitterSmarter, #SocialROI, #Bufferchat and #Hootchat – such an energising way to learn new things and widen my audience reach.
- My phone wouldn’t stop buzzing; notifications poured in daily, and my followers increased by 65% within 5 weeks of applying Madalyn’s Secret Sauce.
- I was very responsive and always engaged with my audience. And that’s especially important for Twitter.
- Twitter lists quickly became my favourite tool for organising and accessing great content, so finding valuable content never felt like a chore.
- Engagement was my new middle name and people reciprocated. My engagement rate increased to 2.2% and my likes shot up by a staggering 235%.
Here is what Madalyn had to say when she heard of my experience with her tips for Twitter success: “Nicole is a great example of taking my Twitter Secret Sauce tactics and applying the strategies. The simple act of engaging more frequently will increase your mentions and build up your followers. Follow Nicole’s lead and you’ll see incredible results.”
What’s cooking next for me in this exciting learning journey?
One untapped tool from Madalyn’s Secret Sauce is the Advanced Twitter Search function. I can’t wait to learn how to utilise it to increase my reach and target prospective clients. And drive them to @Lollipop_ Social. Since graduating from the Digital Mums course, several of my friends and business contacts have approached me for advice on boosting their social media activities on LinkedIn and Twitter. With my new-found appetite for all things social, I’m keen to explore how I can help them supercharge their own social media profiles. Who knows, I might even launch a lunch time Twitter chat this year. Let’s wait and see…
What are your top tips for Twitter?
About Nicole Osborne
Nicole Osborne founded Lollipop Social in 2017. She is a CIM chartered marketer and professionally trained strategic social media manager. She’s passionate about all things marketing and helping SMEs achieving great results online and offline. Nicole recently upskilled with Digital Mums, an award-winning innovative training programme, and launched Lollipop Social after graduating from the Strategic Social Media Marketing Associate Programme. You can connect with Nicole on Twitter and LinkedIn.